Call us  07 3142 4283

1A 14 Duntroon Street
Brendale QLD 4500

Support for Job Seekers

Support for Job Seekers | New Start CareersSometimes it’s hard to know what assistance is available to job seekers, especially if you are recently unemployed.  Don’t feel helpless, you are not alone, and there are various forms of support available through the Department of Human Services.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help…

The Department of Human Services offer income support if you are looking for work and financial assistance to complete approved studies.

They also provide payments if you have a disability and are looking for work.

The following is publicly available information from the Department of Human Services Website, the links within this page will direct you to their site.

on this page

  • Income support while you look for work
  • Payments to help you study or train
  • Child care costs while you look for work or study
  • Job seekers with a disability
  • Assistance for overseas trained professionals

Income support while you look for work

If you pay or receive child support you should make sure they know about your change of situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your Child Support arrangement by calling 131 272 or using Child Support online accounts. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Newstart Allowance provides financial help if you are looking for work and supports you while you take part in activities that may increase your chances of finding a job.

Youth Allowance supports young people with financial assistance if they are 16 to 21 years old and looking for full-time work or undertaking approved activities.

Payments to help you study or train

Austudy is financial help for full time students and Australian Apprentices aged 25 or more.

ABSTUDY helps with costs for if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian who is studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.

Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are studying and training full time, undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship, or looking for work or sick.

Contact New Start Careers to discuss your approved course options.

In addition to payments like Austudy, ABSTUDY and Youth Allowance, you may also be able to get other payments to help you study or train.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps students improve their chance of finding a job through study by helping with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

You may also be able to get Education Entry Payment to help with the cost of study.

Child care costs while you look for work or study

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance (JETCCFA) provides extra help with the cost of approved child care if you are a parent undertaking activities such as job search, work, study, or training. You may also be able to get JETCCFA if you are undertaking rehabilitation to enter, or re-enter, the workforce as part of an Employment Pathway Plan.

Parenting Payment provides income support to parents or guardians to help with the cost of raising children.

Job seekers with a disability

Disability Support Pension provides financial support if you have a physical, intellectual, or psychiatric condition that stops you from working or if you are permanently blind. If you are eligible, you may receive a fortnightly Disability Support Pension, along with other benefits, including a Pensioner Concession Card. If you start working again, you may still receive Disability Support Pension, depending on the hours you work for and how much you earn.

Mobility Allowance can assist if you have a disability, illness or injury and taking part in approved activities. The allowance helps with transport costs if you cannot use public transport without substantial assistance, either permanently or for an extended period.

The Youth Disability Supplement provides additional financial support to young people with a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability who receive certain income support payments.

Assistance for overseas trained professionals

If you are a skilled overseas trained professional, the Assessment Subsidy for Overseas Trained Professionals program can help you with the cost of assessments and exams you need to pass so you can practise in Australia. Only certain approved professions are covered by ASDOT.